Friday, December 3, 2010

It's all about timing

How is it that a baby is equipped with an internal wake up call, ready to strike just as you finish preparing your first meal of the day around 11am? Or when you are sleepy eyed after the 3 a.m. feeding, having had them settled now for at least 15 minutes, do they start to rouse up again just as you flip your comforter over your exhausted body?

A baby also has the uncanny ability to make you eat your words. Just yesterday I was telling Diana just how lucky we are that we don't have to rock either baby to sleep, we just lay them down when they are drowsy and voila! Want to know how I spent my night last night? Rocking sweet, yet cranky, Charlotte to sleep.  Twice.

If ever the term "go with the flow" were apt, it's here; in having a newborn (although I don't think it stops just there).

In an ideal world...                    reality...

...leave the house by 1pm                  ...leave the house

...mop the kitchen floor                        ...walk on the kitchen floor

...take a shower                                    ...put your hair in a ponytail

...make dinner                                     ....open another sleeve of Saltines

I don't mind any of this because I am absolutely in love with these babies, and let me tell you-they are worth it. Secondly, I'm happy that I finally have a valid excuse for being late, not doing house work, being a slob, and eating crappy food.

-Cristina

No comments:

Post a Comment